play-on

That's news to me, where did you hear this? I haven't heard any report
that they've backed down. However some are trying to put on the
pressue:

Letter: New York Comptroller Questions Sinclair

Alan G. Hevesi
Comptroller
110 State Street
Albany, New York 12234

State of New York
Office of the State Comptroller

October 18, 2003

Mr. David D. Smith, CEO
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030

Dear Mr. Smith:

As New York State Comptroller, I am the sole trustee of the $115
billion New York State Common Retirement Fund. We hold 256,000 shares
of Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. As a shareholder, I am writing to ask
about some recent actions that have brought a great deal of publicity
to our company. I would like to understand how these actions will
improve performance and add to shareholder value.

It has been reported publicly, and confirmed by representatives of
Sinclair, that you have ordered all of our 62 television stations to
reserve an hour of prime time sometime later this week to show a film
titled "Stolen Honor: Wounds that Never Heal" and that this film will
be shown with no commercial interruption.

It is my understanding that this film deals with issues related to
the Vietnam War and Sen. John Kerry's actions during and after that
war. The film is very controversial and, according to press reports,
has been called by some "an anti-Kerry attack masquerading as a
documentary."

Please understand that because of our size and out investing
perspective, we are not short-term traders, but rather long-term
investors eager to work with management that seeks to build long-term
value in our companies.

I would appreciate it if you would provide answers to the
following questions as soon as possible:

What is the cost to our company of foregoing an hour's worth of
commercial time for all 62 stations? Critics say showing the film
amounts to an in-kind contribution to President Bush worth millions of
dollars.

Is there any offsetting benefit to our company from the loss if this
income?

Will the film be shown with no commercial interruption because
advertisers were not willing to buy commercial time during its
presentation?

There are press reports that some advertisers are boycotting Sinclair
have pulled their ads and how much will this cost our company?

What has been the impact of this controversy on overall ratings for
our 62 stations? Since the cost of advertising is directly related to
ratings, what has been the financial impact of that change in ratings?

It is important to television stations to attract as large as possible
an audience. It would seem that even appearing to take sides in a
hotly contested presidential election would provide a substantial risk
of alienating some significant portion of the potential audience. Has
this controversy affected our stations ability to attract a broad
audience?

One of the largest shareholders, Barry Lucas of Gabelli & Co., which
owns about four percent of Sinclair, has been quoted as follows: "I
don't want my media companies that cover the news to be making news."
Given the stocks' already poor performance, it would seem that any bad
news would risk reducing investor interest and, thus, risk a lower
stock price. What has been the impact of this controversy on the views
toward the company of Wall Street analysts and other key investors?
Are investors, especially large investors, selling out of Sinclair
stock?

What was the role of our company's board of directors in the decision
to show this film?

In its 2004 Proxy Statement, the company acknowledges its "relatively
small number of independent directors on the Board." In fact, only
three current directors appear to meet the independent criteria
established by Nasdaq. As a result, the board can draw on only these
three directors to serve on Audit and Compensation Committees and to
perform the Nominating Committee function (although the board has also
named one non-independent director to serve on two committees). Does
the board believe that these three independent directors alone possess
the requisite skills and can make the time commitments needed to
effectively perform the important functions of these committees? Do
you have any plans to increase the number of independent directors?

Our company has not produced good returns. Sinclair's shared have lost
about half their value in 2004. The price per share of Sinclair's
stock has declined from $15.03 on January 2, 2004 to $6.94 as of
today. During the same time period Sinclair's performance has
plummeted by 53.9%, while other stocks in its sector (the Russell 2000
Consumer Discretionary sector) increased by 2.4%, and the Russell
2000, on the whole, increased by 1.8%. What are your plans for
improving returns for shareholders?

Our company has two types of shares with unequal value. It is our
experience that this arrangement entrenches management and may harm
performance. We trust that you are also strong believers in capitalism
and competition. Please explain how this concentration of power
benefits shareholders who own the majority of the shares, but have a
minority of the voting power. Please discuss how this arrangement has
affected our company's performance.

Some critics suggest that Sinclair management is more interested in
advancing its partisan political views than in protecting shareholder
value. They say Sinclair's partisan agenda also risks alienating
viewers, advertisers, and regulators. Could you explain why they are
wrong?

By appearing to tie future prospects of the company so closely to the
outcome of a national election, are you adding political risk to the
normal economic and business risks that face our company? What is the
benefit of taking on this additional risk?

Please discuss any plans to rebroadcast this film after the initial
prime time broadcast. What would be the cost of those additional
showings?

According to press reports, some organizations "are vowing to find
groups in cities with Sinclair stations who will challenge the
broadcast licenses of every Sinclair-owned station over the next
several years. Such challenges almost never result in lost licenses,
but they often result in heavy legal costs for the station having to
defend them." What would the impact of such legal actions be on our
bottom line? If even one such suit were successful, what would be the
cost to our company?
Please respond to these questions as soon as possible. If you have
questions or would like to discuss these issues, please contact our
director of corporate governance Julie Gresham at 212-681-4480.

Sincerely,
Alan G. Hevesi

Al

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:35:12 GMT, George
wrote:

due to letters and posts from the left sinclair will not be showing
thier right wing propaganda bit on JFK
Thanks guy
and thank You Don for posting the advertizer list I put to such good use
George