Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

Default A recording style that was in vogue or second-rate engineering?

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 8:14:13 PM UTC-4, Les Cargill wrote:

Severinsen's tone wasn't his strong suit.

Every trumpet player on Earth just gave you a "say what??" look.

Doc in his day was famous for having the whole package - everything was his strong suit - freakish technical facility, musicality, power, range, amazing, vibrant sound. I promise you - Doc's sound in his prime is highly regarded. He had a unique hybrid sound that brought classical coloring to pop/commercial/jazz. His high range was unusual is that it never sounded brittle or screechy. He had control from the bottom of the horn to the top.

Here's a recording that captured his sound much better than my original above. Other recordings that are good to check out are his "Trumpet Spectacular" album with the Cincinnati Pops - recorded live in a large studio hall with no EQ or other FX - just the input of the mics right to the board. Also his "Rhapsody For Now" album - in particular the recording of "A Song For You".

This is off a Direct To Disc album - Doc on trumpet and flugelhorn. The link takes you to just before he comes in.

https://youtu.be/fn70ehqENYw?t=1m12s