Posted to rec.audio.pro
brassplyer brassplyer is offline

Default A recording style that was in vogue or second-rate engineering?

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 8:10:27 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Everything in the Command recordings is huge, they are all in your face, and
they are all tonally very close. Everything is aggressively panpotted right
to left; there is very little room reverb so there is little sense of real
space, just a flat line with everything blaring at you.

Although Command originated it, it became very popular for a while. People
often had the philosophy that they had spent money for this stereo with two
speakers and they want to hear the stereoness. So cheesy fake stereo became
a very popular thing.

So you believe what I'm hearing & describing was a deliberate engineering choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DG8J3U5AHQxo

This has severe mistracking due to bad record playback, also a lot of weird
youtube artifacts.

It may not be optimally transferred and Youtube never makes something sound better but it sounds about like how the same album sounds played back on my Technics SL-1200 MK2 that's been leveled. They were using a very clean copy of the album - I hear only a tiny bit of LP surface noise.

This is not a good example of what Enoch's work sounded
like.

I find that not all of Doc's Command albums sound the same but many of them have a similar presence to the example above.