Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default overvoltage on audio circuits

geoff wrote:
On 29/10/2019 8:04 am, gareth magennis wrote:
Turns out that although the output buffer pcb (not SSL) has the 21v on its op-amps, all the SSL circuitry is somehow protected and is running at just over 19v, which makes me feel a lot better.

Duuno what opamps, but 5532 are specced at max +/- = 22V, so 21 OK and
19 more 'comfortable' if running lower actually offers any benefit.

And.. a lot of people would run the 5532 at +/-24V, outside the rated
envelope. If you tried this, a lot of them would fail in the first week,
but after that they all seemed to keep running fine. I gather there was
some variation in the thickness of the oxide layers on the chip and the
ones that were a little thinner got selected out..

But the 24V previously mentioned somewhere distinctly not good, unless I
misunderstood the context.

If it was going to fail, it probably would have failed by now. I would be
much more worried that the supply issues will degrade the sound quality.
(I will refrain from implying that SSL equipment has poor sound quality
here because people are probably tired of my harping on that).