Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising Roy W. Rising is offline

Default Does anybody sell pre-made resistor "gizmos" for sm57/58 mics?

When I started in TV sound in '65, I was told the mic preamp input impedance should be "2K or greater" to avoid loading ribbon mics, which lose HF performance when loaded. Dynamic mics generally "care" less about loading, with the exception of the SM57/58 as discussed here. EV co-founder Lou Burroughs told me that as of the "Research Engineering" era, EV dynamics would no longer use transformers for impedance selection. The successor to the EV 666 (with transformer) is the RE15. Lou said that inline attenuators' loading would not affect performance and that a true 150 ohm load would only lower the level by 6dB. With all of the variables surrounding mic performance, I decided to step beyond the esoteric practice of "mic selection". Instead, I started using RE15s on "everything", in part because EQ on every input was appearing. My other reason was that mixing TV orchestras amounted to mixing leakage. The RE15 is flat from all directions, hence "better" leakage. I have a matched pair for my desert island gig.