Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default New Member TEAC 3340 Reel to Reel

saxxml wrote:
I'm considering having the TEAC 3340 reel to reel deck I've owned
since new repaired. Does anyone know if an oscillator board is
available. I'm located 15 miles outside Philadelphia but haven't found
any techs near me. Thanks in advance.

1. Check the heads. If the heads look okay and the gaps have not opened
up, fix it. If the heads are bad it's not worth the investment.

2. Replace the capstan belt and the pinch roller. You might as well replace
the round belt for the tape counter as well, not that the tape counter was
ever useful, but it's only a couple bucks.

3. Replace every damn electrolytic in the whole thing before doing anything
else. Don't even think of doing any diagnosis until you have replaced them
all. You are wasting time if you do not do this.

4. Check for cold solder joints. Most of what goes wrong with these machines
other than electrolytics are the result of poor wave soldering from
early wave soldering technology. If it looks bad, reflow it.

5. Why would you replace the bias oscillator board? Is it missing or
physically damaged? If it is cracked it can be patched.

6. Follow the lubrication directions in the manual and clean everything up
in the tape path before applying power to anything.

Do not hire a tech who is not willing to do this in this order.