Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Anything you think was consistently done better in the past inthe pro/commercial recording world than how it's done today?

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Les Cargill wrote:
Why is all the pop music quantixed to death? Answer: artists
are fungible and replaceable ( and may not even be able to play their
own stuff ) and producers make up the balance. Quantization better fits
that risk profile. See Rick Beato on Youtube for details ( "How
Computers Ruined Music")

That's how pop music has always been. Menudo. The Monkees.

The Monkees records sound amazing. It was basically The Wrecking Crew
playing like Carole King songs. It's not quantized. For pop, as pop,
it's top shelf.

Hell, just about any time any actress sang in a Hollywood movie, her
voice was replaced with Marni Nixon's.

Why is the dialogue in film way too low in level and unintelligible?

Because we don't have big dubbing stages any more.

Whut? I could get the dialogue up to level here, in front of little MI
store monitors. My guess is that they overwork the mixers and they mix
too loud. No trouble making out the explosions, either.

I've read things that indicate they undermix the dialogue to get people
to listen harder, to "lean in".

But mainly, I'd bet there just a lot of hacks out there.

People mix films in
tiny closets so that the mix will translate into someone's living room.

This is America. People have massive living rooms now. I listen in a
living room. I still have the captions on.

Show that film in a big auditorium with a second reverb time and you
won't be able to make out any of the words.

The acoustics in theaters is a whole 'nother story. Meyer Sound
should think about packaging some of their correction stuff for
theaters - I bet they'd sell more than a few.

Les Cargill