Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

Default Anything you think was consistently done better in the past inthe pro/commercial recording world than how it's done today?

On 26/08/2020 8:17 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
I'm talking about what one would label as the pro world of recording of material for mass consumption.

Is there anything about a particular arena of recording - pop, classical, opera, TV news, film, etc. - whatever - that you find lacking compared to an earlier era despite all the technology? Or do you think audio recording is at its zenith now?

In the late eighties I worked with a producer in Atlanta who assured me
that the music of the early seventies was the best ever, and that nothing
better would ever be achieved. His argument was that it was the drugs
that made the music what it was and "you can't get stuff like that any
more." He had a long list of products from quaaludes to gorilla
tranquilizers that he claimed were the key to the fine music of the era.

Personally I don't agree with this, but I was doing classical music at
the time. Drugs did not appear on the classical scene until much later.
--scott

Scott,
I lived in Nashville from '70 to '75 and I encountered some of the top song
writers and such in the business at the local pill doctor's clinic. It was
certainly a trip.