Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Was lowered fidelity of 60's tv show music a function of how itwas recorded or something else in the production pipeline?

wrote:
Peter Irwin:

Then what the hell did I read back in 1980-something?

I don't know.

You can tell the pix carrier is AM and the sound carrier is FM by the way
they degrade as the signal strength drops. You'll have a good sound carrier
as the pixture gets worse and worse and then all of a sudden the sound drops
out of full FM quieting. The effect is sudden, unlike the effect on the
picture.

There were some folks who were arguing in favor of FM encoding of the video
signal too, but that was too much bandwidth for consumer grade detectors
in 1939. So instead we got vestigial sideband AM.

MTS stereo was an improvement in broadcast TV sound, not just spatially, but in the
way it was carried on the broadcast channel. I could have sworn the documentation
I was reading mentioned AM modulation prior to the MTS transition.

Nobody actually used MTS in the US, sadly. Some stations broadcast it, but
hardly anyone was set up to receive it. It still didn't fix the central issue
which is that video people don't care about sound.