Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default Anything to say on Speakons

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 7/21/2020 9:43 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote: You can't daisy-chain XLRs,
1/4 phone, Socapex, or Canon P connectors either, all of which are
popular for speakers.
But you can daisy-chain banana plugs and spade terminals.

Of course you can stack banana plugs as long as they have a "stacking"
hole in them. But that isn't universal.

I use banana plugs for all my P.A. speakers. Every speaker has three
sets of sockets in parallel so that an incoming signal can be fed
onwards to at least two more units. The entire system is standardised
on 100v line, so everything is in parallel and impedance matching
becomes a non-concept (as long as the amplifier can handle the total
load).

The inclusion of a tapped transformer in each loudspeaker unit allows
balancing of sound levels and I have an auto-transformer that can be
used to reduce the level to a whole group of speakers simultaneously.
Ordinary switches on a plastic box with banana sockets at the back can
be used to switch groups of speakers in or out.

The whole system is extremely versatile and adaptable to almost any
small to medium-sized outdoor event. Some of these smaller events are
sketchily planned, so the ability to re-rig in response to some
unforseen circumstance while the event is in progress can be a
life-saver. The system has also coped reasonably adequately with the
sort of small and medium-sized indoor music events where it is mainly
needed for sound reinforcement.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk