Logan Shaw

Mark wrote:

I just bought 2 new batches of Philips CD-R MUSIC CD-Rs for use in my
Philips CDR 560 audio recorder. These discs are clearly labeld
DIGITAL AUDIO which I know my recorder requires. These discs all fail
to record giving OPC FAIL.

I doubt it has anything to do with audio vs. "data" CDs[1]. From
what I understand, there is an area on the disk (the Power Calibration
Area) meant to allow the drive to test various power levels for the
laser. The drive writes some test data at various laser power levels
and then reads it back to see which worked best. This process is
called Optimum Power Calibration, or OPC.

So, unless your drive coincidentally picked this moment to start
dying, it sounds like they're bad blanks.

- Logan

[1] I put data in quotes because, well, isn't it all data?