Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default How does one go about selling a song?

On 7/23/2019 8:18 PM, Tobiah wrote:
If I were to write a 'song', and try to sell it, what form
would it take?Â* I'm familiar with the song books that one
finds in a music shop.Â* Some sort of reduction with chord
charts and lyrics etc.

When someone sells a song to a current popular artist, whatever
the genre, what does the artist get?Â* Is there sometimes a demo
recording to cement the intent?

In the rock and pop world, there are seldom charts. Everything goes on
the demo recording.

In some other genres, there are charts or tabs that usually are supplied
by the songwriter in addition to the demo.

Sometimes the songwriter will provide a full arrangement, sometimes not.
but always they will provide a demo.

If you join Taxi or similar organizations they will walk you through what
people tend to want. But they always want a demo.