Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Vintage Pioneer SX-838 receiver loses one channel after warmup

"Readily Visible" wrote in message

I understand. But doesn't the fact that the left channel continues to be
the one that drops out when I switch the right channel preamp output to
the left channel main amp input and same for the other two ins and outs
at the back of the unit... doesn't this isolate the problem to the main
amp section? The left channel is out at the moment and operating the
tape monitor switches does nothing to bring it back. But turning up the
volume to just past halfway *always* brings it back.

You are absolutely correct, I did not read your post clearly enough. If the
problem stays with the amp when the channels are switched, it's definitely
in the amp. Usually when transistors start to fail you get static, not the
fading in/out you describe. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that
cleaning the relay works... it can be a real pain to track down this type of
fault. I have spent literally days working on a piece of equipment and it
ends up being something I never even thought of.