Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Readily Visible Readily Visible is offline

Default Vintage Pioneer SX-838 receiver loses one channel after warmup

Dave wrote:
"Readily Visible" wrote in message
Now, how to identify the FET's as opposed to generic transistors... a
quick google image search for 'fet' returns several schematics. The
symbol for FET's look different than the symbol for what I refer to as
'generic transistors'. I don't see any FET symbols in the amp section of
the schematics for the SX-838, however. Could the schematics from this
period use the round transistor symbol for FET's rather than the
squarish looking symbol?

FET part numbers will start with 2SK (N-channel) or 2SJ (P-channel) as
opposed to BJT's which are more likely start with 2SA, 2SB, 2SC or 2SD.
Note that the "2S" is often omitted on the transistor due to space
constraints.

I downloaded the service manual and, according to the info you supplied,
there are no FET's in the power amp section. I have the unit on it's end
with the top and bottom removed. I buffed up the speaker relay contacts
with some 600 grit sandpaper and so far, after 15 minutes of play, the
left channel has no cut out. I'll leave it like this for at least 6
hours before concluding that the speaker relay was likely the problem.