Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Audiophilia in the 21st Century

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 16:19:44 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

Musicians are notorious for failing to be able to hear
small differences in sound quality, despite the fact
that many are superior and reliable perceivers of
musical quality. The two talents are nearly mutually
exclusive.

Really? Please supply evidence.

read
http://www.Amazon.com/Music-Brain-Ec.../dp/038078209X
and put two and two together.

I've known lots of musicians and most of them have nothing special in the way
of playback equipment and many have none at all other than the types of
radios found stock in cars or sitting on the kitchen table. I know a famous
conductor who used to request cassette copies of my master symphony tapes for
study. He listened to them on a Panasonic battery-powered cassette player
through the unit's own 4" speaker, in mono.

Reason? It looks as if musicians listen for different things in music than
music lovers or audiophiles do. It also looks as if whatever it is that they
are listening for doesn't require a decent stereo system to hear, either.
That's my experience, anyway.