Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

Default Audiophilia in the 21st Century

On Dec 1, 3:01�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 28, 8:42 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 27, 1:40?am, wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 26, 5:12 am, wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 24, 7:44 am, wrote:

You misunderstand. It's the capability to *start*
with the undistorted signal that is the point. From
there, it can be left alone, or modified as needed to
overcome other effects such as speaker/room
interactions.

1. An undistorted signal? No such thing with any
recording of live music.

AHEM...I thought you said you were through with
semantic quibbling...
You think the distortions that precede the master tape
are a matter of semantics? I disagree. They are a real
issue that we, as audiophiles, have to live with and
deal
with.
It's all about quantification.

No it's all about aural perception. You are putting the
cart before the horse. Unless you are more interested in
bench test results than aesthetic values. I am not. To
each his own.

The above shows a lack of understanding of the word perception, which I have
observed before.

Pure ad hominem.

Perceptions may be either veridical or illusory. Illusory perceptions need
not be connected with actual, genuine, or reliable objects or events.
Therefore, saying that something is all about aural perception ignores the
critical fact that the aural perception can easily be illusory, which is to
say that it has no basis in reality outside the brain of the one perceiving.

That may be true of your perceptions of vinyl since you have not done
any bias controlled listening evaluations. but I have so the odds are
far less that my aural perceptions are imagined.

After much deliberation and armchair theorizing I set
about doing some
experiments. Late nights with an oscilloscope eventually
uncovered that electrical and mechanical crosstalk
within
the cartridge and pre- amp were causing a stereo image
manipulation which was
similar to that brought about by the Blumlein
'Shuffler' circuit and Edeko's loudspeakers - all the
important narrowing of the
stereo image at high frequencies.
If you want to narrow the image at high frequencies, it
can be done far more effectively, and with far less
distortion by purely electronic means.

How? How can I take a signal off of my CD player and
process it so it mimics the improvements wrought by my
vinyl playback system?

A reasonable first step would be to ascertain tha the so-called improvements
aren't actually illusions.

How do you know they were not done under blind conditions?

In fact there few if any sucessful recordists who are using LP playback
systems as signal improvers. Can you document a well-known recordist or
mastering engineer who proudly and routinely cuts recordings to LPs and then
plays them back as part of their production of SACDs or DVD-As?

I can't name any recording engineers that do any of their own
mastering these days. OTOH I can name many mastering engineers that do
tweak the signal when mastering CDs in an attempt to get the same
apparent benefits from simply cutting them on LP.

Furthermore, it is completely illogical to believe that
there is a "one-size fixt all" distortion of this kind
that should be indiscriminately applied to every
recording.

1. No one is saying that such distortion works equally
well for all recordings.

Since we don't know if the so-called improvements are illusions or
veridical, we don't know what "works well" means in your lexicon.

But I have made it clear that I have done bias controlled comparisons.
I am not the only one either. I realize you don't like the results of
my bias controlled tests but the quality of my bias controlled tests
are not determined by your personal feelings about them.

2. It is logical when one considers that at it seems to
be addressing a universal inherent limitation of stereo
recording and playback.

Again, cutting recordings to LPs and then playing them back is not a
generally-accepted part of their production of SACDs or DVD-As, or even CDs.

That proves nothing.

3. Given the fact that different vinyl playback equipment
has distinctive unique sonic signatures it stands to
reason that this is not actually a 'one size fits all"
solution.

Then there is no evidence that any LP playback system but yours has this
benefit?

My experiences are not unique.

It supported what I and so many hi-fi fans knew to be
the
case, that vinyl really does sound better than CD -

Hey, if music with added audible noise and distortion of
a characteristic and randomly-chosen kind is what floats
your boat, then enjoy!

That was a quote from Richard Brice. He was the one who
actually engineered the recordings and had first hand
experience with the original acoustic event.

Proof by means of name-dropping?

No. Richard Brice was the author of the paper I quoted. It would have
been wrong for me not to give the author credit for his work.

Is that listed as being a good thing or a bad thing in the skeptic's
literature that you keep quoting? Is it listed at all, or is it something
that you invented for yourself

Proof by name dropping? That would appear to be your invention. I
won't take credit for your work.