Jenn wrote:
So, after a week of living with the Clearaudio TT/arm/cartridge, I love
it more and more. The sound that I am getting from my records is just
so effortless and easy... like a good concert hall. I just put on
several CDs, and I just don't get that with them. The timbres are
thinner and less life-like. I wish that it were the other way around,
but it's not. If this is due to "euphonic distortion", bring on more of
it!

We know the objectivists think it is euphonic distortion.

The funny thing is, I have NEVER, not ONCE met an objectivist who could
accurately repeat the description of vinyl provided by those who think
vinyl is truer to life.

For example, we get all this stuff about "midrange phasiness",
"enhanced ambience", "pleasant timbre," etc.

Of course, none of that describes the reason I like vinyl---and your
word "effortless" above conveys this: the way the sound comes to my
attention, how it feels to pay attention to it, particularly to pay
attention to multiple voices, more accurately reflects live listening.

And of course I get the same effect from analog tape, so this matter
goes beyond vinyl-specific distortions.

I also think it is amusing that the objectivists suggest that people
who, as their full-time job, discern small differences in timbre, and
have a mature "taste" (not simply wowed over by "more midrange" or
"more ambience") would somehow drop all mature discernment and be
unable to judge the "lifelike" quality of different means of
reproduction.

For example, I doubt that you think "more ambience" is always
better--you think the RIGHT AMOUNT of ambience is best.

I doubt you think that a "warmer tone" is always better--you think that
the right tone for the job is best.

I challenge any objectivist here to simply repeat the arguments I've
made above in their own words without distorting my meaning. It has
never been done before.

Mike