Roger W. Norman

"Charles Tomaras" wrote in message

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
news:znr1119785751k@trad...

In article
writes:

If you are putting a new box together today, the price of 64 bit
components
is not that much higher than what you would spend for a similarly high
end
box. Might as well get a Socket 939 MB and a cheap Athlon 64 processor.
You
can upgrade the processor to a socket 939 compatible dual core Athlon

64
in
another 6 months when the prices come down and upgrade to XP 64 or
Longhorn

So you're suggesting that I might want to buy something that I'll
upgrade in six months? You obviously don't know me. I occasionally
make a mistake and buy something that breaks in six months, but I
don't buy things that I'll have to, or even want to upgrade in six
months.

What I'm suggesting is that if one was building a new box that they get a
motherboard that has a socket configuration that will support future
processors. In your context that would mean getting a buggy that would

allow
you to have it pulled by a different horse at some point in the future

when
your current mule gets hauled away to the glue factory. I have no problem
with people who are happy with less than new equipment, but it would be
penny foolish to ignore upgradeability and the possibility of enough raw
power and headroom in a computer to multi-task with sonic impunity. I

guess
we all have different senses of value, but many of us prefer the computer
equivalent of a U-87 over a SM-57, and to be quite honest, a difference of

few hundred dollars when building a new computer for professional use is
quite meaningless.

It a quest for the holy grail of computing. One will never achieve it. One
can buy the newest and yet still come out shorthanded. It happens.
--
Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio