jakdedert

T wrote:
Thank you both (Learning & Mann).

Some clarification from my end.

- I KNOW the A/V output is MONO.

- I have a Passive prebuilt SUB.

- It is a Paradigm SB-100.

Currently I don't have a stand alone amp for it, I am leaning towards
running the SUB output of the A/V unit through a vintage Sony
Receiver I have on the AUX input.

My dilemma is wrapped around having both Left & Right binding posts on
the bottom of the Sub cabinet. I'll likely ignore one side and just
hook up one or the other only.

Does it also have L & R *output* terminals? If so, it probably has a dual
coil subwoofer driver and passive crossover. It can be placed directly on
the outputs of your amplifier, with your L&R front speakers connected to the
subwoofer outs. The crossover will handle the job of filtering some of the
low frequencies out of the main speakers and directing them to the sub...a
workable solution, but inefficient...some power will be wasted in the
crossover, and you might not want to filter the lows from your mains.

****Main amp speaker outssub insL&R speakers OR Main amp speaker outs
parallel with sub ins and L&R speakers (possible impedance problem?)****

The setup you describe, using an auxiliary sub amp, will result in slightly
more volume (assuming enough power output from that amp). Use a 'Y' cable
(one RCA male to two RCA males) to route sub output from your main amp to
the AUX ins on your sub amp, and connect the L&R speaker outs to your sub
ins.

***Main amp sub out'Y' cableL&R sub amp AUX inssub amp L&R speaker
outssub***

jak

TBerk