Robert Morein

Default Ignore what you hear

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:10:51 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

The sound of the traditional MOSFET circuit has both followers and
detractors, to which I add my personal observation that they
complement metal dome tweeters very well, but are not as good with
fabric types.

Absolute bolllocks! As with bipolars and even a select few tube amps,
a good amp sounds like a good amp, i.e. it sounds like its input
signal. They all sound the same, hence they don't 'complement' any
particular kind of tweeter.

Agreed. The ideal amp is a "straight wire with gain", and many amplifiers
approximate this quite well, particularly if only reliable subjective

means
are used to judge.

Of course. Simply ignore the "in your face evidence" and keep looking at the
"data."

Further, there's even more ******** in your sweeping generalization
that metal dome and soft dome tweeters have a characteristic sound.
They don't.

Agreed. While intuition might suggest that metal domes might have stronger
high frequency response, the most popular dome-type tweeters with the most
extended response (40 KHz & beyond) have fabric diaphragms.

I have a set of Polks with the new Audax ring drivers, and they STILL sound
soft, compared to a typical metal dome.

I can't ignore what I hear.