Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rboy505@yahoo.com is offline

Default How to improve family room acoustics?

Well, there're two aspects to this sound conundrum: First is the sound
when normal things are going on, and second is the sound when you do
recording. The first you can attain fairly easily. The second not
so much without being at least somewhat flexible on the "look". I'm
sure you'll get a lot of good advice, but mine would be to not insist
that one solution will satisfy both the audio and your sense of
"without compromising look of the room". Large, flowing spaces and
hardwood and tile floors can be great for recording, but they have to
be controlled (rather the reflections have to be controlled or tamed),
or else all the soundwaves flow as much as the visual.

Your best bet is to use well placed portable baffles and diffusers when
you record, and them you can put them away afterwards. Almost any
semi-permanent treatment to the room as you describe it will compromise
the visual flow of it.

Hi!
I have an open architecture house. Family room flows into the kitchen
and into large living room and foyer (two story). In addition the
entire first level has hard floors - hardwood and tile.

My family room has a 42" TV and a home theater system. I would like to
improve the acoustics since the sound echoes even when people talk.
Using microphone for singing echoes even more. I like the modern look
of the open space, but what can I do to improve the acoustics without
compromising the look of the room? I understand that I will not be
able to get a perfect sounding room, but if any noticeable improvements
can be done, I will appreciate your advice.

What are my choices? What would it cost? How much improvement will I
notice?