Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Best digital music recording program

Tom Evans wrote:

What's the best digital music recording program that comes with many
terrific instrument sounds?

I'm thinking of buying Logic Pro 10, as I'm a Mac user and I'm using
Garageband and a controller to record songs on the Mac, but I'm finding
Garageband's instrument sounds are too limited.

The price of Logic seems to be good ($200) but I wonder if there's a
program that easeir to learn and use; Logic seems to be complicated.

All the DAW programs that offer a lot of power and flexibility are
complicated. There are various interpretations of the GUI, and various
concepts of terminology for the names of facilities and elements. How
you react to those is what makes ro breaks your relationship to the
application.

I'm still back on Logic Pro 9.something so I can't speak to changes made
to Logic X, said by a friend of mine to be excellent. I started on v. 5
Gold, and met the "problem" right off. Back then you had to configure
the whole setup via the Environment to manifest the system as you liked
it. With no experince of the app or the process, little comprehension of
the terminology, unable to get anything done until this was all worked
through, I found it a daunting situation. Once I had climbed that
particular mountain things went fairly smoothly.

These days when asked about DAW apps, or when thinking what I'll do when
upgrade becomes necessary, I look over at Reaper, which is already quite
powerful, well supported, and truly fairly priced. As with all of them,
it offers its own way of going about the work, and there will be new
stuff to learn.

Look for friends who use the vrious DAW apps, and see if you can get a
test drive at their house.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com