Bryson

Default Aphex Comps - Which are the good ones?

The Expressor is their "real" compressor, with the ratio, thresh, attack,
release controls. It's got a hi freq expander (HFX) that boosts treble at a a
selected freq and ratio as the compressor vca attenuates, to compenste for high
end lost from compression. There's also a Lo Cut filter in the sidchain that can
be a handy feature. They track fairly well in stereo, but controls on both units
need to be matched (though there may be a way around that using sidechain
inserts, summing the detector signal, in master/slave mode, blah, blah, blah....
I never tried it...just thought about it in bed one night). It's a good, clean
sounding, useful unit. The "Tubessence" (eeew, that term...whenever I see it, I
hear it in my head with a lisp.) model has the addition of an Auto timing
circuit, but I don't know if it's worth going through that deprived tube for.

The Compellor is a slow compressor combined with an even slower leveler (gain
riding), with next to zero (compression) tweakability. I've always thought it
to be more of a broadcast tool to keep overall program levels consistent, though
I know many use it for recording and mixing.

Analogeezer wrote:
I am thinking about adding another compressor to my collection and I
started thinking about the Apex line.

Geez, Expressor, Compellor, Dominator, it's hard to keep them all
straight. I've heard some of them totally suck and that others are
really cool. Then there is one that supposedly sucks until Jim
Williams mods it, then it's really cool.

Other than staying away from anything that says "Tubessence", can
anybody suggest what the Aphex comps to look for are?

I know the Dominator is more aimed at broadcast apps, but what's the
diff between an expressor and compellor?

Thanks,

Analogeezer