Scott Dorsey

Newsguy wrote:

Hi Scott. Thank you very much much for your quick and informative reply. I
am on track now. However, here's one that is a little confusing: I found
an old cable in the bottom of a drawer that has the above-mentioned amphenol
on on end and a 1/4 phone jacl on the other. So, I cut off the 1/4 jack and
was going to put on a modern XLR. After I cut the cable, I noticed that
this cable only contains one inner wire and the "shield". In other words,
we have only two conductors here to connect to the modern XLR. Now, perhaps
the shield goes to pin 1 of the xlr, but then we have only one conductor
left over.

Does the one that's left go to XLR pin 2 or XLR pin 3?

Right, that cable is for an unbalanced high-Z line. Throw the cable away
and use a 2-conductor mike cable. That cable is not useful.