Porky

"PenguiN" wrote in message
om...
if this were the case then Doppler shift would be a part of the natural
order of things musical, and Doppler shift could thus be entirely
disregarded as a source of "distortion", period!
I think this should pretty much drive the final nail in the Doppler
distortion issue's coffin, because if speakers introduce Doppler shift

then
so does everything else which vibrates to produce sound. I still don't

think
Doppler shift is introduced by speakers opperating under normal

conditions,
but if it is, it's a part of the natural order and not distortion at

all!:-)

The difference is that "doppler distortion" is a measurement that
compares an *ideal* waveform (ie, what's on the wire) with the
*realized* waveform (what's in the air). Distortion that isn't present
in the wire but is in the air is undesirable.

Yes, one part of the sound of a vibrating string is caused by a
"doppler effect" of the fact that the string is moving through the
air. (This may be inaudible, but that's besides the point).

However, that's part of the sound of the string, and therefore it's
desireable. If you were to then put it through a speaker that added
*additional* doppler (or whatever) distortion, then that would *not*
be desireable (if re-creating the recorded sound was your goal).

So no, this doesn't nail any coffins. Sorry.

It's like saying "electric guitar amps have harmonic distortion --
therefore it shouldn't matter if my studio's speakers also cause
harmonic distortion because this is part of the sound of the amp
anyway!" -- yeah, try to put that by any audio engineer

What I said was that if everything that vibrates when producing complex
sound produces Doppler shift, then our hearing mechanism has the built in
ability to compensate for it. This doesn't affect my position, which is that
I feel that any diaphragm which is driven by a single complex waveform
produces a coherent complex soundwave which isn't subject to Doppler shift
(the hole in the wall model), as opposed to compound diaphragms being driven
by separate sources which actually produce two separate waves which are
summed in the air, and being that the summation process doesn't occur
instantaneously, there is oppurtunity for Doppler shift to occur before or
during the summation process (the train/whistle model).