Wilfried Adam

Default preamp design

David Grant wrote:

I'm having a good bit of trouble finding any info on design strategies that
are specific to microphone preamps. I've found some schematics on the net
but there's rarely any very detailed explanation given about why they were
designed the way they were, and what considerations were made. I understand
all the basic principles like CMRR, slew rate, etc... but there seems to be
some sort of understanding gap, and I'd like to bridge that gap. I realize
it's probably something I'm not going to be able to grasp over night, I'm
just looking for some kind of direction.

If anyone knows of any resources that would help me, I'd appreciate it.

Hi Dave,

you may be interested in an article I wrote for, and which was published
in Electronics and Wireless World – June 1989, p628, about designing low
noise audio amplifiers or more specifically: designing for low audio
front-end noise with real semiconductor devices.
Reprints of this article which includes numerous references are
available from http://www.softcopy.co.uk.

Enjoy!

Wilfried Adam