Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Dorman Paul Dorman is offline

Default Dachman Audio U87 Clone Kit

On 12/29/2020 1:13 PM, John Williamson wrote:
On 29/12/2020 20:10, Paul Dorman wrote:
On 12/29/2020 11:35 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

2. How the diaphragm is tensioned.

Â*Â*Â* They DID show the diaphram tensioned!

They showed a pre-tensioned diaphragm being securedÂ* by a retaining ring
to the backing plate and a spacer.

That didn't look like anything special. The gold-sputtered
mylar just has to be flat.

Watch this Soyuz video around the 1:50 mark:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...d-part-2-gsps6

The mylar is put into the tensioning ring, and tensioned by the
technician by hand. He doesn't measure the tension with any device!

Also, the technician securing the diaphragm to the backing plate,
does NOT appear to use a torque-wrench!

I'm not claiming the technicians don't need skill to do this work,
but it's clear there aren't any secrets in capsule building.

I would say reverse-engineering is the bane of all Mic-Snobs!