Justin Ulysses Morse

Default 16 bit vs 24 bit, 44.1khz vs 48 khz <-- please explain

Garthrr wrote:

Actually I was under the impresion that Jay was on the other side of the
fence--that he was saying that 24 bit was really no better than 16 bit for any
sort of real world audio. Perhaps I misunderstood his stance. I thought it was
Arny who was contending that there is resolution to be gained by 24 bit,
resolution which exists even in the not-so-low level signal.

You've understood Arny correctly but have gotten the wrong idea about
what Jay is trying to say. On his website he advocates going to at
least 20 bits for a release format, or better yet 24 bits. The
perceived disagreement (which turned out not really to be a
disagreement at all, if you ask me) revolved around the *reason* for
needing more bits. Jay seems to think 24 bits is better than 16 bits
because of the extra low-level resolution.

I actually disagree about the need for more bits in the delivery
medium. I think 16 is enough to deliver the full fidelity of any
real-world finished production, even though 24 bits are needed during
tracking, mixdown, and mastering.

ulysses