Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

Default Dynamic Mic Noise

In message , mcp6453
writes
After 55 years in the audio business, I have encountered a strange
problem for the very first time. I set up a small mixer and two dynamic
mics for remote recording. Everything tested perfectly at home. When I
moved the setup to the remote location (an office building), there was
hum and buzz in both mics. Isolation the mics from all wall warts and
power supplies did not have an effect on the noise.

Some years ago, I was asked to build a small broadcast studio for a new
religious conference centre. The room they had selected looked ideal,
but during the first recce, I walked round the outside of the building
and saw that the power distribution for the whole site had its building
backing on to one wall. A subsequent test with a dynamic mic into a Uher
(remember them?) showed that hum was a real problem.

We chose a room on the other side of the site. The promotions lady was
not happy to be turned out of her nice office.
--
Bill