Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Dynamic Mic Noise

On 8/29/2018 9:19 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 8/29/2018 5:02 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
I set up a small mixer and two dynamic mics for remote recording.
Everything tested perfectly at home. When I moved the setup to the
remote location (an office building), there was hum and buzz in both
mics.

Look outside for a nearby cell tower. A friend had a problem like that
in his studio when Verizon turned on a new transmitter in a tower to
near his place. After verifying the cause by having a Verizon tech come
out and temporarily shut off the transmitter, he managed to get them to
leave it off. You might not be that lucky.

I actually mentioned to the other guy that I thought there might be a
cell or microwave tower nearby causing the problem. I'm going to take a
few mics over there and do some experimenting. It has me ****ed off at
the moment.

Thankfully this session was not critical or time sensitive. With all of
the RF pollution going on in the country now, it's not a bad idea to
have a couple of mics in the kit that don't exhibit the problem. (one of
the mics was an SM58.)