Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mick mick is offline

Default Quad-II mods - again, oh no....

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 23:13:16 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"mick"

As a matter of interest, Phil, have you tried the circuit that Keith
Snook has on his web page, where he uses cascode ECC88s instead of
EF86s?

** Huh ??

Have you read anything I wrote at all?

I did, Phil, yes.
I noted that you said about that site (in reply to Pat)
"** Certainly long on trivial details and fetish stuff.

But very short on anything really worthwhile.",
which I'm not going to argue with, but I wondered if you had actually
tried that idea. I suspect that any additional bandwidth possible from
the cascode would be wasted, although the gain should be ok. Whether it
would be worth looking at I don't know, with a higher heater drain and
(probably) the need to bias the heaters up because of the 50v Vkf for a
ECC88.

I'm not thinking of modifying any Quad IIs (I can't afford any!).