Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

Default digitalizing vinyl records

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:33:22 +0100, "Serge Auckland"
wrote:

"Buzz" wrote in message
"Serge Auckland" a écrit dans le message
de
news: ...

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 6/24/2009 9:39 AM Buzz spake thus:

So I got a little box which is a "Terratec PreAmp IVinyl"
Just plug in your moving coil turntable and the output is USB.

Should be "moving magnet", no? Not many of us have them expen$ive
moving-coil cartridges.

(And of course MC requires different equalization from MM.)

It doesn't! The equalisation is identical for MM or MCs. The gain needs
are different, as most MCs are significantly lower output than MMs, but
there are plenty of MCs with similar levels of output to MMs.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

I should have said MM and high output MC turntables.

Just look at the features here :

http://data.terratec.net/site/ivinyl...nicalData.html

--
Allen RENY
www.a-reny.com

Looks fine for the purpose. The input sensitivity is a bit low, but that
is
probably a good compromise to achieve a higher overload level, as the S/N
ratio is far in excess of what you need for vinyl.

S.

The OP has already posted a sample which makes it clear that he has a
preamp with de-emphasis. What he needs is some way of getting round
what is obviously a broken laptop. He needs a USB sound card (which
will remain useful for many purposes in the future), not a dedicated
phono digitizer, which will become junk the moment he digitized his
last record - or gets bored with the whole stupid business, which is
what will almost certainly happen.

Agreed, however, my own attempts to get a USB sound card that was any good
doesn't bode well. I tried several, from Alesis and others, and they
wouldn't pass a back-to-back test with RMAA. In each case (I tried three
different ones) they distorted either on output when the output was at 0dBFS
(one even distorted at -2dBFS) or on the inputs when the level went up above
about 0dBu. I ended up resuscitating an old laptop so I could run my
Digigram PCMCIA card, which does +10dBu in or out with essentially zero
distortion, albeit it cost at the time, about 10x what are now being charged
for USB sound cards.

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com