Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default digitalizing vinyl records

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Vinyl doesn't really take a magnificent audio interface to be digitized
well.

I have to disagree with that sweeping generalization. Without committing
the sin of making another one, all I can say is that I have gotten
results which are close to what I would call "magnificent" running my
turntable through my sound card; the resulting CDs were pretty damn
close to "CD quality".

Results will vary all over the place, of course, depending on the
quality of the vinyl being played, and the equipment being used to play
it. With a good cartridge (a Signet in my case), a decent amplifier, and
probably any modren sound card, good results are possible.

You are actually in agreement. The Turntable, cartridge and especially
record quality and cleanliness will matter *FAR* more than the soundcard
these days.

While a $20 soundcard will do the job, how many people buy a decent
turntable & record cleaning machine that will have FAR more effect on the
final result IME? Unfortunately they have a *FAR* higher price tag as well!

MrT.