Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default digitalizing vinyl records

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
news:4a47ef41.902389156@localhost...
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:02:53 +0200, Bernard wrote:
I am looking for an usb audio interface that would give good results in
digitilizing vinyls. Using my original sound card give results that are
rather poor in quality. I read somewhere that I ought to have a usb audio
interface. Could someone tell of his/her own experience on a specific
interface for that purpose ?

USB is one option, PCI card or firewire adapters also more than adequate.

There is not a single sound card available today that could possibly
adversely affect the quality of a vinyl recording. They are all,
without exception, orders of magnitude better than any vinyl record.

Pretty close, but there are still a few I wouldn't use.

Are you by any chance trying to plug the pickup straight into the
sound card?

Or maybe he is using the microphone input?

If so, you are missing a vital component - the phono
preamplifier & de-emphasis unit. You will need this whatever sort of
sound card you get.

Nope, some USB boxes designed for the purpose have RIAA EQ built in. Maybe
that's what he is after.

MrT.