Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

Default Another proposal

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
i.fi...
"Eeyore" wrote in message

West wrote:

another ankle nipper. I'll deal with you later

You couldn't deal with a wet paper bag FFS !

Graham. As an alternative to wasting your time in
character assassination, which makes you angry and
the rest of us embarrassed, might I ever so 'umbly
propose that you start a new thread, on the subject
of Myths and Legends in audio.

There are so many interesting claims made, ranging
from screened mains cables and hi end speaker
cables, skin effect, etc to Shakti stones.

**There you go again. Do I really need to explain to you again that skin
effect reaches down to ALL frequencies above DC? Even power companies
(whose product operates at 50/60Hz) have to deal with skin effect. Skin
effect at 20kHz is significant (approximately 0.5mm depth), given long
enough cables and low enough impedances. In any case, of FAR more more
significance are the inductive effects of speaker cables, particularly WRT
long cables and/or when using ESLs. In the case of some ESLs, even very
modest cable runs (10 Metres) will benefit from using low inductance
cables, rather than the very high inductance product sold as 'zip' cable
in the US. I lump all standard cables in with this description, BTW.
Cables like Goertz, standard high power coax and others exhibit
significantly lower inductance figures and may be very beneficial with
some speakers. Dismissing them, without discussing their benefits for some
listeners is just intellectual bankruptcy on your part.

BTW: The claims made for Shakti Stones are not interesting at all. They're
just stupid.

It would be interesting to discuss these with you, and
shoot them down in an orderly fashion without
personality bashing, flames or invective.

**Not possible with you, Iain. Despite things like skin effect and and
inductance (of speaker cables) being explained to you many times, you
STILL forget the ramifications with monotonous regularity. Why is that?

Hi Trevor.

Please re-read carefully what I wrote.
I am not suggesting for a moment that there is any substance
in most of these myths. I have taken part in too many tests.

Your remarks about skin effect are smoke and mirrors, but
I can see why as a salesman of high-profit bespoke cables,
you would wish things to be otherwise.

I was hoping that Graham, an engineer, not a BS hi-fi
salesman would start the thread.

Cordially,
Iain