Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Fascinating MS

On 14/02/2015 18:09, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Gary Eickmeier wrote:
A possible new problem has come up with MS, namely some imaging anomalies
at
different frequencies. When I do my stereo test and even during a
performance, I have noticed that higher frequency percussive sounds will
image in the center more than at left or right. Like, the drum set is at
stage left, but there are some pings and other sounds that come from the
center.

Is this some well known principle, or fault, of MS? Ever heard of it?

It's a room problem. Move the mike.
--scott

Great responses - thanks to all. I will try some of the tests you suggest.
Could well be a mike problem, changing the M to S ratio with frequency.
Don't know what the test results might be, but all I can tell you is that I
am using the Audio Technica 2050 variable pattern mikes in Fig 8 pattern.
These are reasonable quality for a beginner like me and I would expect that
would work reasonably well, and maybe my MS mix isn't quite perfiect yet.
And BTW the same phenomenon holds true looking at the lissajous pattern, or
phase response window in Audition, so it is a recording problem and not so
much playback - but I do realize how the rear speakers can affect perceived
frontal direction as well so I will do more testing in stereo only.

You could try altering the EQ on the S channel to alter the relative
levels of the HF percussion. If it moves in and out, you've got a
frequency response problem. Then you need to find out how much is the
room and how much is the microphones.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.