Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Fascinating MS

"Gary Eickmeier" writes:

A possible new problem has come up with MS, namely some imaging anomalies at
different frequencies. When I do my stereo test and even during a
performance, I have noticed that higher frequency percussive sounds will
image in the center more than at left or right. Like, the drum set is at
stage left, but there are some pings and other sounds that come from the
center.

Is this some well known principle, or fault, of MS? Ever heard of it?

Of course, it's called lousy microphone response.

Stop and consider for a moment running your side level up and down, and what that
does to stereo width. Then think about 10, 15, 20 dB variances of response in your
micropphones at various frequencies. It's like running the side level up and down --
at those frequencies.

Your off-axis response of the side mic probably isn't very good, and/or there's a
serious level mismatch between the M and S microphones at various frequencies.

Just one more reason why I appreciate a technique where I can use good omnis.

Frank
Mobile Audio