Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Fascinating MS

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

My audio engineer friend who does most of the archival gigs in town uses the
50 cm omnis (DAP) and gets fantastic results. What is interesting is that
this would be a purely time of arrival kind of stereo and my MS would be
strictly intensity stereo, and both work well! I had thought that some
combination of the two approaches with some shorter spaced cardioids aimed
right and left would give the best compromise - the best of both - but I was
wrong.

If he's using the DPA 4006 omnis, you'll find that they aren't really very
omni. Add the balls onto them and they become even less omni, and that is
what gives you actual intensity stereo.

The M50, as traditionally used in the Decca tree, are even less omni.