Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fran Guidry Fran Guidry is offline

Default Fascinating MS

On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 10:41:58 PM UTC-8, Peter Larsen wrote:
"Gary Eickmeier" skrev i en meddelelse

Should I set both M and S knobs the same and let the signal
rise and fall where it may, or should I set them so that both
tracks are equally loud most of the time?

You omit a variable: microphone sensitivity. However with matched
microphones you should set the knobs the same and the signal in channels 1
and 2 should be the same or channel 2 (S) a few dB lower. If it is not like
that then your mic stand is likely to be incorrectly positioned or mic
directional patterns incorrectly chosen.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

This certainly doesn't match my experience. If I use matched or similarly sensitive mics and matched gain settings the S signal is _much_ lower than the M signal and if this were not the case I would start looking for my error.

Fran