Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Fascinating MS

Playing with MS more lately to solve another problem, and getting some
pretty amazing results. You may remember that I always listen in surround,
and I have always sought a very wide and spacious sound. What I have found
is that if you set the S channel just right (about +2 in my case) you can
just about achieve surround sound for free. I got a new MS module for my
Zoom H6, so I went to try it out on my jazz band that I record. The stereo
call out test went almost perfectly, the soundstage spread evenly and
perfectly across the entire width of the room, but a bonus was when someone
else talked or played something during the test I heard them placed very
accurately where they were actually sitting, front or rear, left or right.

Additionally, it seems that MS is able to encode direction more accurately
and finely than any other miking technique or scheme. I have tried. The
ability to adjust the stage width afterward is a bonus that shouldn't be
discounted.

Along with that, I am wondering what the Stereo Width Control is doing in
Audition is doing exactly - is it converting a normal stereo signal to MS
and back again? Or is it just extracting some middle and making the
difference signal greater?

Gary Eickmeier