Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

Default Replace positive wire on HU?

Have you not ever hooked up a dual votage electic motor, if you ever come
across one see the amp specs at 110v and at 220v, Whoever told ya that this
only works when transforming or inverting was just trying to mess with your
mind.

Jacking up the input voltage in order to reduce the *need* for current
only works when transforming or "inverting" (converting DC to AC)...it
does not hold true in general, and even for those cases where it does
work, it will generally only do so over a finite range of voltlages--
go too high and you let the magic smoke out.

And let's not forget that in the specific case of a head unit, the
device in question is not purely a transformer or inverter--there are
also components in the device that operate on the unregulated DC input
voltage, so I stand by what I've stated.

-dan