Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Eric Jacobsen Eric Jacobsen is offline

Default Questions on Levels

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 20:32:08 -0500, Randy Yates
wrote:

Mike Rivers writes:

On 11/19/2010 7:52 PM, Randy Yates wrote:

My question is this: What is the definition of dBFS?

Decibels relative to full scale.

Nonsense. All you've given is the meaning of the acronym, not an
engineering definition of the unit. This is similar to stating the
definition of RMS is "root mean square."

[...]
But it's not defined that way.

I'm not asking how it's not defined. I'm asking how it is defined (in a
sensible way).

I think you're asking what color the sky is, and people are telling
you "blue", but you're expecting a wavelength or something, so you're
not accepting the answer.

As you know, dB measurements are always relative to some reference
level. With dBFS the reference level is Full Scale of the converter
or number system or whatever. The ratio of the level measured to the
Full Scale level provides the argument for the logarithm, and the
scaled result is dBFS.

If you can do dBm, or dBW, or dBC, you should be able to do dBFS.

The odd part is that you're not seeing this after being told correctly
what it is several times.

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications