Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jerry Steiger Jerry Steiger is offline

Default Simple Audio Test Chamber

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Jerry Steiger wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
16 feet is a little large... eight feet is probably enough. You should
be
able to do the math to see the relative importance of the various modes.

I should be able to do the math, but I'm afraid I don't know what math it
is
I need to do. I don't know what the underlying physics is for the
importance
of the modes. Is there a text I can read to set me straight?

The F. Alton Everest book on small studio acoustics is good, but the
math is also in the big Master Handbook of Acoustics.

I got Everest's "Acoustic Techniques for Home and Studio" at the OSU
library. The Master Handbook of Acoustics apparently disappeared many years
ago, although they thought they had it till I tried to check it out. The
basic room resonance calculations are in the small book, but nothing on the
relative levels of the modes. He makes the point that for very high
frequencies, the walls are no longer flat and parallel, but that is about as
far as it goes. For the 300 to 3000 Hz waves I'm interested in this
obviously isn't a problem.

I checked out several other books and found some interesting and helpful
material, but nothing that explained the relative level of different room
modes.

I wonder if the expectation that higher modes are lower level is just due to
the typically higher absorbtion at higher frequencies. I haven't been able
to come up with any other explanation.

Thanks again. Sorry to take so long to reply. Other work and family matters
have kept me out of contact.

Jerry Steiger