Eric K. Weber

Which switch on the back is that? Are you thinking about a different
microphone the C48 possibly....?
The pattern switch is mechanical not electrical on the C38 it closes the
vent ports on the back of the capsule to make it Omni. The internal switch
which goes from battery to phantom might be an issue.... have you tried it
on battery supply instead of phantom?

Rgds:
Eric

"Dan Kennedy" wrote in message
Actually that symptom sounds more like a problem with
the switch on the back. It's a really crappy '70's vintage
Japanese hifi sort of thing in there. A little contact
cleaner may take care of your problem.

James wrote:
If the capsule is OK, what's the problem?

If the electronics need to be looked at, any good tech should be able to

fix
the mic, assuming he has access to the schematic.
I don't remember the C38 being all that complicated when I saw the

schemo...

Is it OK? I don't know. Indeed that may be the case but I am not
qualified to work on it and there is always the possibility it is the
capsule even though its only a couple years old. It is rather
bizarre symptoms, working perfectly and then it went "dark" sounding
all of a sudden, lost its high end presence and also some output
level. DOes that sound like a capsule or something else? There is
no intermittence.

Thanks for the recommendation on Doug Walker in CA. I had heard he
was the guy on these old Sony mics and couldn't recall his name.

Thanks very much for the help.

Kind Regards,
Black Egg Studios, Boston