curtis mathewson

Default Any difference between cheapo CD players and super expensive high end cd players?

Guitarboy wrote in message ...
I know a guy that just got a $1500 CD player. I mean i dont know about
you but while I understand purchasing an expensive turntable and
cartridge I have never heard any difference between CD players. If
there were a difference wouldn't you see some of these high priced cd
players poping up in high end studios? all i ever see are consumer
models. just wondering.

I was unaware of how diffrent c.d. players sounded untill I started
comparing the playback between cheepo players vs $1000.00 and up
players run through the same playback system.As one reply mentioned
that there is less and less of a diffrence as time marches on.Most
high end studios want to hear the cd playback as the average joe
consumer hears it.They will plug a $100.00 dollar cd player into the
ssl 9000 cause a cd player that costs a thousand dollars or more does
not elevate or help them justify the hourly rate the high end studio
charges.Producers/engineers for the most part look at what puts their
mixes in the ballpark when it comes to how the room they work in will
translate sound to the rest of the world once it leaves that
room/studio.A posh c.d. player means very little.A properly tuned
controll room is what matters when one is in the high end studio
game.Not a posh c.d. player for those who care.Thats icing on the cake
if not a compleat jerk off.The mastering guys seem to have more jerk
though.