Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

Default older CD players (nad 50x, 51x, denon 615/815) vs new cd players - anyone heard both?

On 29 Oct 2006 02:13:09 -0800, "spronk" wrote:

Hi all,

I've currently got a system consisting of Wharfedale Rubiance RB-23
standmounts, and a NAD C320BEE amp, and I'm searching around for CD
Players.

I've currently got three players that I have bought in my quest to find
good sounds:

- NAD 512 (second hand $US 40)
- Denon DCD-615 (s.h. $US 35)
- JVC XL-V131 (s.h. for $US 80 including an old 35w marantz amp)

They all play and read fine. With my system the NAD definitely sounds
nicer to my ears, much smoother mid-range than the others, and less
harsh treble. The Denon is nice and detailed, but lacks bass and is a
bit harsh. The JVC sounds much more mass-market (albeit very good
compared to most I've heard) , with strong bass and strong treble, but
whereas the denon and NAD players sound somewhat silky, the JVC sounds
a lot more like regular cotton.

I'm also looking at buying a Denon DCD-815 for $US 45, and I'm
wondering how it, and my other three players have performed for other
owners.

Finally, for owners who have upgraded to a late-model player (e.g. the
NAD C521/521BEE or Rotel's 10xx series or a new cambridge azur player),
how does it compare to the older generations in listening enjoyment and
sound quality?

I've heard almost all of the newer players are much more analogue-esque
in sound than the older players. Is it worth selling up and saving for
a new model, or is the newer technology not that much better?

Regards
Keith Humm

I have a question for you, Keith. How do you rate the C320BEE?