David

Default Radio reception worse than factory radio, antenna adapter?

What kind of car?!

David
UnderTheDash.com

"AC/DCdude17" wrote in message

I installed a low-end Aiwa CD/Radio stereo in my car as I was getting
tired of the factory tape/radio. When I was buying the necessary
supplies to install this stereo in my car, the list they have at stores
said harness and a dash kit.

It didn't mention antenna adapter, but there's something questionable
about it. The factory radio have two antenna connections on cord rather
than directly into the unit. A female banana jack like you see on all
after-market stereo and a male banana jack. There's a matching set on
the car side as well. Since the manual at the stores didn't call for
"antenna adapter" I did the only way possible. I plugged the male plug
from car into female jack on my stereo and left the female plug from car
abandoned. Well my reception isn't as good as factory radio now and I
think this might have something to do with it.

There's a whip antenna at front and a window antenna that looks exactly
like a defogger with just one connection on one of the rear window. I'm
guessing each jack connects to its own respective antenna. I've been
given mixed instructions about it. One store says I need an adapter to
consolidate them into one. Every other source says leave the extra one
dangling.

If I need an adapter to combine the two, what is this called?

Is this likely the cause of bad reception?