Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean B Sean B is offline

Default Sound Of Bipolar Junction Transistors

Hello,

Do different types of (let's narrow it down to small-signal devices) BJTs sound significantly different in anyone's experience, in various types of audio circuits? They all have that exponential relationship between base-emitter voltage and collector current. I'm wondering what could account for differences in sound, assuming those differences exist.

I recently built a BJT emitter follower with a another BJT as a current source feeding it, and even though it measures very well (junk down about 105 dB from the fundamental test tone) it added a noticeable brightness to audio passing through it. It just confounds me that this could be audible.

Thanks,

Sean B