MINe 109

Howard Ferstler wrote:

MINe 109 wrote:

While I'm sure he could find much to object to at a typical Austin club
show (excessive volume levels, clipping, PA horns, etc), another point
is that even rock has commonly recognized sound ideals such as the one
you described above. I read one description that claimed room size and
volume level at which the drums do not require amplification as an
ideal, which reminds me of another Terry Manning anecdote, this one
about Led Zeppelin: Bonham preferred the mics some distance from the
drum kit because he wanted to control his dynamics, not the engineer.

Most "live" rock performances have the sound emitting from a
huge bank of speakers on, behind, or in front of the stage.
Nearly all of the sound is electronically amplified and sent
out via those loud-is-better speakers.

You missed dw and me discussing the so-well-known-it's-boring
description of the standard rock band sound. You've encountered the
phrase "garage band"? Drums in the back, guitars to each side, bass and
singer in the middle. There are thousands of recordings with this or a
very similar perspective.

Now, if some moron wants that kind of "live performance"
sound from his audio system at home, then, well, he is
getting exactly what he deserves when he spends big bucks on
overkill gear.

That kind of moron doesn't buy overkill gear. Cerwin-Vega is still in
business, yes?

Stephen