Bill 2

Default Car Am/Fm Cassette, Reliable 'economical' brand = the ultimate Impossible Dream?

wrote in message ...
Most desired features:
Clock that keeps time.
Display that doesn't burn out in a couple years.
Receiver/Amp that doesn't stop sending to speakers in a couple years.
More or less standard install/connectors. No exorbitantly priced "install
kits" or other hidden charges, fees, etc.

Removable face somewhat desired, though never had need of this yet.

Is it better to plug in cheap-clone Walkman (buying its replacement every

2
years?)

and separate clock? Then, does 12V clock exist? (Or only NiMH refillable?)

also interested in brands of reliable CD changer, mounted elsewhere, as is
often done.

TIA & t later

Option one: Junk yard, same make and model or less.

Option 2: Blaupunkt. They make good sounding gear, but it looks cheap,
making it not very attractive to a thief. I think I saw a low end CD/Radio
unit go for $150 CDN or so.

Option 3: Cheap crappy $15 Wally-World special with crappy analogue tuning,
a knob that will break off at a moment's notice, and a hissy tape deck.

One of the best AM/FM/cassette players I had was in a 1989 Plymouth Reliant.
The screen stopped working after a few years, but it still sounded great
when we sold it. You get used to operating by feel and can install a
standalone stick on clock if it means so much to you.

For my car an adapter kit is $15. That combined with a Blaupunkt unit is
less than the factory radio.

You could probably also get a cheap inverter and plug in a small stereo. And
I've seen a small LCD stick on clock with a .75" screen that runs on watch
cells that would probably last years before replacement. I think it was a
couple bucks.